When experimenting with our new sprouted Rude Health buckwheat flour we thought one it would be ideal to have a generous supply of crumble topping to keep in the freezer. Our Buckwheat Crumble topping instantly creates a delicious pudding from next to nothing, simply roast or stew some fruit, grab some compote or defrost some berries and voila – done. It works very well with our apple and pear compote.
Buckwheat Crumble has a delicious nutty taste and texture and makes a welcome change from sandy crumbles. Buckwheat, despite the name (it is actually related to rhubarb!), is naturally gluten-free too.
- 150g buckwheat flour (we like Rude Health Sprouted Buckwheat Flour)
- 80g chilled butter
- 45g hazelnuts
- 45g dark brown muscovado sugar or coconut palm sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Simply place the butter and flour into a Magimix, NutriBullet or food processor and blitz for a few seconds to help break down the butter slightly.
- Then add the hazelnuts and sprinkle in the muscovado sugar and pulse to combine the sugar and chop up the nuts.
- If doing by hand, simply rub in the butter with the flour using your fingertips in a light and airy motion. Coarsely shop up your nuts and stir through with the sugar.
- Sprinkle onto a roasting tray and roast for 15 minutes.
- Once golden, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
When needed, simply sprinkle over some slow-cooked fruit or compote.