This has to be the simplest and quickest family meal ever – and it’s truly delicious!
As the chicken is cooked in the stock is takes on an almost confit taste and texture, and becomes a truly melt-in-the-mouth masterpiece that will keep the whole family very happy and healthy.
When cooking with rice, always try and use brown rice as white has no nutrients in it and brown is packed full of magnesium, protein, carbohydrates and fibre. You can throw in any green vegetables at the end to steam lightly – broccoli florets, asparagus, mange tout, sugar snaps all would work well.
- 1 whole chicken jointed or 8 pieces of chicken thighs, drumsticks or legs
- 200g brown rice
- 400ml vegetable or chicken stock (If using powdered use reduced salt)
- 200g plum tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 100g green beans
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tbsp mixed dried herbs
- Place a casserole dish (with a well-fitting lid) on a medium to high heat and add some fat (ghee, butter or oil) until it's hot.
- Next, season your chicken pieces with salt and place in the pan. Try not to overcrowd the pan so if you think it's going to be a squeeze do it in batches.
- It will take about 10-ish minutes to get a lovely golden brown crispness on the skin. (You can always do this step in advance.)
- Take the pieces out and keep on a plate while you assemble the rest of the dish. Remember at this stage the chicken is not cooked just browned. Browning or getting colour equals depth of flavour to your dish.
- Add your sliced garlic to the pan and gently cook for a few seconds.Add the rice and just stir around to get a light coating of ghee/butter or oil and then add the stock.
- Place the chicken pieces on top of the rice and pop in the tomatoes.
- Place the lid on top and cook for 30-35 minutes until the rice is cooked but not dry and the chicken cooked through.
(If the rice is not cooked through and the pan is dry do add some more water or stock to help keep it moist.)
- minutes before serving, add your green beans to the pot and pop the lid back on – they will steam cook inside.