Quinoa is a wonderful grain to eat – it’s known as a superfood! Full of goodness, high in protein and calcium plus gluten-free.
- 150g quinoa
- 1 tbsp bouillon powder
- 30g roasted hazelnuts
- ½ orange, zested
- ½ red onion, sliced
- a handful of fresh mint and parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1-2 clove of garlic crushed (2 is quite garlicky)
- Olive oil – enough to lightly coat
- Wash your quinoa in cold water in a sieve and drain.
- Place the quinoa in a small saucepan and sprinkle over the bouillon. This gives it some real depth of flavour, body and seasoning.
- Next, cover the quinoa with boiling water so it's well covered and with about 1cm of water on top.
- Bring up to the boil and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until softened, cooked and the water has been absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Quickly, lightly pan fry your sliced onions until soft and translucent.
- Mix them into your quinoa with your crushed garlic, chopped herbs, orange zest and roasted hazelnuts.
- Drizzle with enough olive oil to coat and loosen then add seasoning.
Other nice things to throw in include raisins, dried apricots, dried cranberries, feta, nuts such as pistachio, pine, cashew, etc, and toasting nuts brings out their real flavour.