Once you have tried this you will never cook a plain roast chicken again. The smoky, sticky, sweet glaze transforms the chicken to new heights. It really is finger-licking good. You can choose other vegetables for this dish but I love the gooey, sweet potato nuggets and the crispy, caramel brown, cauliflower edges.
The sweet potatoes in this dish are packed with vitamin A, a natural antioxidant and immune booster which helps make it a great one to help fend off colds and flu.
- 1 whole medium chicken (approx 2 kg)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 20g butter, softened (if dairy is a problem, just use a good glug of oil)
- 200ml water
- 1 cauliflower, broken into florets
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Take your whole chicken and smear the softened butter all over the top of the breasts and legs. Then sprinkle over and smear in the smoked paprika. Place in a large roasting tin with enough room around the chicken to put your vegetables.
- Scatter your cauliflower florets and sweet potato wedges around the bird then and pour in the water. This will keep a steamy environment and help cook the vegetables through. Place some tin foil tightly over the top of the roasting tin and cook for 40 minutes.
- Baste the bird and stir all the vegetables well and place back in the oven for another 15 minutes without the tin foil.
- Take out of the oven one final time and baste. Next, pour the honey over the top of the chicken and stir the veg one last time. Cook for a final 10-15 minutes.
- Leave the chicken to rest for about 10 minutes ideally, for the juices to re-distribute and the meat to relax.
- Slice and serve with the roasted vegetables on the side.