Apricot and Almond Cake
- 4 apricots
- 100g ground almonds
- 100g butter, softened
- 100g maple syrup (or unrefined caster sugar works well too)
- 1½ tbsp gluten-free self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp vanilla essence
- Handful of pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 200C (or 180C for fan ovens).
- Cream the butter until really soft and gradually add the eggs and maple syrup. Give them a good whisk and get some air into the eggs.
- Then add the vanilla essence and ground almonds. (If you have a lemon or orange lying around a few gratings of zest would be really lovely too.)
- Pour into a ovenproof dish and top with the halved and pitted apricots and sprinkle on the pine nuts.
- Sometimes the fruit sinks all the way through so I tend to use a shallow bigger dish to make sure they don't disappear as they look so pretty peaking out the top!
- Cook for 20 minutes then turn down to 150C for another 10 minutes. You want it to be cooked through but with a moist crumb. The easiest way to check is with a skewer or the tip of a knife and you want it to come out looking clean.