This recipe forms almost a self-contained apple crumble, full of goodness from the nuts & seeds and fibre and B vitamins from the oats. It also contains no refined sugar, with honey and sultanas providing a hit of sweetness.
Baked Crumble Apples
- 4 normal eating apples
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 30g chilled butter, finely chopped
- 20g walnuts, finely chopped
- 20g oats
- 20g sultanas
- 20g seeds (mixed seeds such as sunflower, pumpkins, etc)
- 2 tbsps honey
- 100ml water
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Slice the top off the apples and remove the core.
- Mix together the finely chopped butter, sultanas, seeds, nuts and oats and stuff inside each apple.
- Place the apples in a casserole or heatproof dish and pour in the water. Drizzle the apples with the honey.
- Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes and baste every 10 minutes or so. You want them to be soft and cooked all the way through.
- Serve warm or hot with fresh cream or Greek/natural yoghurt.