I love these muffins and am constantly adapting and changing them to get different flavours and goodness into my two boys.
In this recipe I use white spelt flour which, like white flour, is less heavy and absorbing than whole wheat flours. However, as it’s spelt it still has some nutrients and has lower gluten so is easier to digest.
The blueberries are high in antioxidants and help protect the body from cancers, ageing, infections and degenerative diseases, as well as being full of vitamins and minerals such as copper, magnesium, iron and zinc. The banana hidden inside adds moisture and fibre.
- 70g butter, melted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ zest of an orange (optional)
- 150g white spelt flour
- ½ ripe banana mashed
- 1 egg
- 100ml maple syrup
- 100g blueberries
- Handful of oats for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a muffin tin with paper cases. (If you are using a silicone muffin tray you don't need to use cases.)
- Put the melted butter in a bowl and add all the wet ingredients (banana, orange zest, maple syrup, egg) and mix well.
- In a separate bowl sift together all the dry ingredients.
- Next, add the dry ingredients to the wet and sprinkle in the blueberries (I used frozen berries).
- You want to do this as quickly as possible and with as few stirs as possible. I find using a balloon whisk really helps with this or use a large metal spoon. A maximum of 12 strokes should be enough.
- Don’t be tempted to get rid of all the floury bits as it just adds to the overall rustic look.
- If the mixture is a touch too thick you can add a little glug of milk or water to loosen.
- Dollop large tablespoons into your muffin cases so they are a generous two-thirds full.
- Sprinkle with oats (preferably gluten-free) and bake until risen and golden brown, and if a skewer is inserted it comes out clean or with a slightly wet crumb. For small cupcake sized muffins it'll take about 20-25 minutes and 35-40 minutes for large muffin sizes.
- I make loads of these and then freeze them. They are great reheated in the oven or microwave if rushed.
Crammed with wonderful blueberries and again freezer brilliantly.