This is a delicious and easy recipe that you can really easily adapt it to your taste and add in different nuts and seeds but this is the way I like it. Hard cheeses, such as feta, are better tolerated by those that may have issues with dairy, plus pumpkin seeds are full of good oils.
Bulgar Wheat with Feta, Berries, Rocket
Serves: 4 adults
- 150g bulgar wheat
- 25g dried berries
- 25g pumpkin seeds
- 40g raisins
- 50g toasted pinenuts
- 40g feta, crumbled
- ½ zest of one lemon
- A handful of fresh rocket, chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp bouillon powder (approx)
- Rinse your bulgar wheat lightly in a sieve and then pop into a saucepan and cover with boiling water so there is about 1 cm of water on top. Sprinkle over the bouillon.
- Bring up to the boil and then simmer gently for 5-10 minutes or until the grain has puffed up and absorbed all the water and is soft when tasted. If it's still firm but dry, add a splash more water and continue to cook until done.
- Take off the heat and cool.
- Then, simply add all the other ingredients and mix well. Add enough olive oil to coat the grains and add flavour.
- Season well and serve.