I put this together for the first time using some bits left in my fridge but it turns out they all work brilliantly together for strengthening the immune system. Butternut squash is rich in a vegetable source of vitamin A which is important for immunity. Tomatoes and red peppers are packed full with vitamin C, another key nutrient all year round. Onions and garlic have valuable antibacterial properties to help kill off any potential bugs. This is a lovely warming dish, really easy to put together and great for stocking up the freezer. Enjoy!
Immune Boosting Pasta Sauce
Serves: Enough sauce for 8-10 individual portions of pasta
- ½ butternut squash
- 1 red pepper
- 400-500g tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp chipotle (this is optional but does help to give a depth of flavour)
- 300ml water
- Start by heating a little oil in a saucepan (or wok). When warm, add your chopped onions.
- Allow to soften gently. When soft and translucent, add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Then add everything else and give them all a good mix around.
- Allow it all to cook for a few minutes and then add the water and cover with a lid and leave to cook at a simmer for 20 minutes until everything is softened and cooked through.
- Blitz with a hand blender until at the consistency you are happy with. (I like mine a bit lumpy.) Season to taste.
I make one quantity and freeze the rest into silicone muffin tins that can be used as portions for another day.
Leave a Reply