This is such an easy recipe and great for kids to make as it is packed full of goodness and taste. When kids make things on their own they are always much more tempted by food they wouldn’t normally try.
Smoked Mackerel Pate
Serves: 2 adults or 4 kids
- 100g smoked mackerel
- 100g cream cheese
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- Handful of parsley or chives (optional)
- Lemon juice to taste
- Herbs to garnish (optional)
- Place the mackerel in a bowl and remove the skin. With a fork or wooden spoon begin to mix it and flake it apart.
- Add the cream cheese and mix. Then add the horseradish, herbs and lemon juice.
- Season to taste.
- Place in a little pot and serve with melba toast, pitta crisps or rice cakes.
Don't underestimate your child's palate. You will be surprised at the things they do like and by getting them involved with making their food they will want to experiment more.
Lesley Dunbar says
This recipe is unbelievably good! So easy to make for children (and adults). We love it with Scottish oatcakes.