I wanted to try and reduce the amount of both butter and honey I was using in my last flapjack recipe and had the brainwave of using dates for their natural sweetness. It worked brilliantly, plus it made them hold their shape even better.
The dates not only provide sweetness but are also wonderful for the digestive system, and the oats are packed full with vitamins and minerals such as calcium and iron and there’s natural antioxidants from the honey. These are a constant in my house and can freeze brilliantly too.
New Even Better Flapjacks
Makes approx 10-15 squares
- 100g runny honey
- 200g rolled oats
- 100g butter (if you like you can use half coconut oil and butter)
- 100g dates, pitted
- 60ml warm water
- A good pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Line a baking tray or cake tin approx 20 x 20cm with silicone/non-stick greaseproof paper.
- Simply place the dates into a bowl and cover with the warm water. Place this in the microwave for 1 minute. (If you don't have a microwave just place the dates in a small pan and add the water and heat gently.)
- Next, add the butter and honey and stir to dissolve.
- Then puree with a hand blender.
- Add your pinch of salt.
- Stir through your oats.
- Pour into your prepared tin and pat down to be about 1 inch thickness. (They hold their shape well when cooking so it's fine if the tin is too big.) Cook for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and cut.
Guy Hopkinson says
Excellent recipe. Thank you.
What is more, they are healthier when eaten in moderation, and despite previous gainsayers for your original flapjack recipe: yes, honey is sugar but as it is in its natural form as opposed to refined, it contains a whole lot more at the micro-nutrient level and is very good for you.
Well done you two; I am a new fan of your work.
Thank you so much for your lovely comments. It means a huge amount xx
Thank you Guy – thats so kind and much appreciated xx
pauline zvolanek says
can you give me the measurements in cups and spooonsful instead of grams?
Kanthi Hayes says
Hello – your new even better flapjacks are really good. Just made a batch today. Trying really hard to stay away from refined sugar. Thanks for sharing your recipe so freely. Bless you x