This is literally the easiest pudding in the world!
I know white pudding rice does not provide as much of a nutritional boost as brown rice. However, sometimes the ‘healthy’ alternatives just aren’t as good as the original and, for the sake of both tradition and flavour, I have chosen to use white rice.
It is so important to enjoy what you are eating and sometimes you just have to bend the rules slightly! Having said that, this is a healthier version of regular rice pudding as shop-bought varieties tend to contain additives and plenty of sugar.
I have used coconut milk here (I use the brand Koko) and maple syrup as opposed to cow’s milk and refined sugar. Almond milk would also work well and is nice and creamy.
There is something incredibly comforting about a warm bowl of rice pudding and a nice dollop of strawberry jam (ideally sugar-free) particularly in autumn and winter.
- 700ml whole milk (use either cow’s milk, coconut milk or almond milk, depending on your preference)
- 70g pudding rice
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- A good grating of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 150-160C.
- Simply get an ovenproof dish and place the rice, milk and maple syrup in the dish.
- Mix around slightly so you know it's all evenly distributed.
- Add your grating of nutmeg.
- Place in the oven for 2 hours until golden in colour and a skin has formed. Under the skin is a firm but creamy delicious rice pudding.
- I often double up this quantity and freeze individual portions to be enjoyed on another cold and wet day.